Monday, May 23, 2011

Nolan James!

Sorry this is so late!

Nolan was born May 14, 2011 at 6:59 pm.

8 lbs. 6 oz. and 21 inches long

Quick birth story: I was set to be induced on May 14th. We were
supposed to be at the hospital between 7:30 and 8 am. I couldn't
really sleep the night before, so when my alarm went off at 6:15, I
got right up. I went to the bathroom and surprise! My water broke. I
woke Ryan up to tell him that we needed to go sooner rather than later
now. The hospital had also called to see if we could come in later for
the induction because there were several people there in active labor.
We told them that my water had broke and they said to just come right
in.

We got there and got checked in and they took us up to labor and
delivery. We got settled into the room, I changed into a gown and got
into bed. After a bit, the nurse came in to start my IV. Stuff like
that normally doesn't bother me, but I got a little lightheaded and
almost threw up. I think I was just nervous. I got some water and some
cold cloths and that seemed to help.

The doctor came in shortly after to check me and see if I was
progressing yet. I was still at a 3, which is what I was at just a
couple days before at my doctor's appointment. Since my water had
already broken but I wasn't having any contractions, they went ahead
and started pitocin. It wasn't until a couple of hours later that the
contractions got REALLY intense. They hurt really bad and
unfortunately they weren't making me progress any. I got almost to a 4
and the contractions were coming one after another. I told the nurse
that if it was possible, I wanted my epidural. Within about 30
minutes, we were all set up and I was getting the epidural. It didn't
really hurt too bad-I felt some pressure when they were putting it
in, but then, I felt relief. Wonderful, amazing relief. The epidural
worked GREAT and it let me relax. It also helped me
progress to a 6 within about an hour and then a 10 a couple hours
after that.

Pushing wasn't too bad. I couldn't feel anything, so it was actually
pretty easy. I pushed for less than an hour and at 6:59, Nolan James
was born! He started crying before he was even all the way out! They
got him wiped off a little bit and then laid him on me. It was an
amazing feeling! Ryan was so great the entire time and everything went
well. The hospital stay wasn't too bad-just a little overwhelming with
all the nurses and doctors and everyone in and out checking on you all
the time. It was a relief to come home though. We've been home for a
week and we have had lots of visitors-the last of which left this
afternoon, so now it's just us.

I think we are doing okay adjusting to our new life. We have a pretty
good system worked out and we use a teamwork approach. I am recovering
pretty well too-still a little sore and tired, but I'm getting there.

We couldn't be happier with our little guy! We love him so much! Breastfeeding wasn't really working out too well, but I have been able to pump-so he is getting some breast milk, which is better than none at all.

Here are some pics of the little man!!






1 comment: