Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hi-I'm ridiculous

So, I ended up going to the ER on Friday.

I talked about having some pressure the other day and it was making me a little uncomfortable. Well, on Thanksgiving, when my hubby woke up, he saw me doing some research on it and asked what was going on. I started to explain it to him and I started crying because I was freaked out. He was SO GREAT. He sat there with me and held my hand and tried to calm me down. We talked through it and decided that since there was no actual pain or bleeding or anything that we would go about our day and wait until I could talk to my doctor's office the next day.

I felt better on Friday but I still had a little bit of pressure. When I finally talked to the nurse at my doctor's office, she didn't make me feel any better. Keep in mind at this point, I have asked several pregnant and previously pregnant friends about this-and almost all of them told me that it's normal. Most of the information I found on the internet also said that this was normal, despite a few instances where this pressure (more severe along with other symptoms) was not normal. So just when I'm feeling better about this, the nurse tells me, "no....it's not normal for 16 weeks....I think we'll try to get you in Monday (...it's FRIDAY)...and I would just say to spend the rest of the weekend laying on your left side and drink a lot of water."  Me: "Oh....well, if it's not normal, will I be okay until Monday, or do I need...." Her: "Oh yeah!! You'll be fine. We'll see you Monday at 9. Have a nice weekend!" CLICK. Me: "What the HELL?"

In the world of me, if you tell me that something I'm experiencing isn't normal, but then you tell me I'm good for 3 days as long as I lay down...that's incredibly confusing. So I tell Ryan what she said and then he starts getting pissed because she actually said that it wasn't normal but then didn't seem concerned about it. So we start freaking out and decide that we are going to the ER. At this point, we don't care if we look like idiots who are worrying for nothing, this is about the health of our baby.

So we go to the ER, I explain everything that's been going on and tell them how casual the nurse was about it at my doctor's office and the nurses and doctor there agreed with me. They couldn't believe that she would tell me something was not normal, especially without even consulting with my doctor. I mean, if it's not normal, she should have told me to come in right then for a quick exam or tell me to go ahead and go to the ER just to get it checked out since they couldn't see me until Monday. So everything ended up being okay. My cervix looks and feels just like it should, and we picked up a strong heartbeat as usual. Either way-it made me feel a lot better to go and get a professional opinion.

We still have the appointment tomorrow morning and as far as Ryan is concerned, he's gonna make sure they know exactly what the nurse told me and which nurse it was. I gotta say, I can't be mad about that. These are my doctors and nurses, they are supposed to have my best interest in mind and they are supposed to understand when I have concerns. I'm not just some random crazy pregnant woman. I'm sure they see a ton of those too. But I would like to know that if I had a concern like this again they would take it a little more seriously. Anyway, so we'll see after we have the appointment tomorrow whether or not I still feel comfortable with these healthcare providers.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad everything was okay! I can't believe the nurse acted like that with you! If this keeps on I would get another doctor. My new doctor told me that if I ever feel the need that I need to come in because of anything just call on the way. I'm shocked that the nurse said it wasn't normal then just told you to wait THREE days!! So many things could have happened. I would give her a piece of my mind! I'm so glad that you are doing so much better :) I'm so sorry you have to deal with nurses like that one. Hopefully they'll apologize tomorrow.

    <3 Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My doctor was very understanding and we definitely told her about the nurse. Next time I call there and have to talk to a nurse, I'm going to specifically ask that it be someone other than her.

    ReplyDelete