Tuesday, October 12, 2010

When it rains, it pours.

Well, this weekend sucked.

I'm just gonna throw that out there. Saturday morning, I quit my job. I felt okay about it because I knew it just wasn't a good fit and now I can find something else. Okay. Fine.

About an hour after I quit my job, something horrible happened. Every morning after I give my dog her breakfast, I let her outside. Our yard is fenced in and it was really nice out Saturday morning, so we left her out there for about 40 minutes or so. Enough time to do her business and run around a little bit. When I let my dog back in, I noticed she was limping. I didn't get a good look at her, but I couldn't really see anything wrong. So I went into the living room and told Ry that she was limping. He called her into the living room and then we saw it. I'm sorry to sound so graphic, but her stomach was ripped open. Her skin was hanging off of her on her stomach and part of her leg. I immediately screamed and started crying. Ryan grabbed a towel and scooped her up and put her in the car. We drove her to the emergency animal hospital which is over at Purdue University. It's only about 15 minutes away thankfully. We called ahead and they were waiting with a gurney for her. At this point, we didn't know how she had gotten hurt so badly. When we got there they came to the car to get her and they took her back to the exam room while we filled out some paperwork. The verdict ended up being that she would need surgery to flush out the area and then they would re-attach the skin. I don't know how but she's VERY lucky. We found out later when we went home that what cut her was a stake from the horseshoe pit in the backyard. She didn't see it and ran right over top of it. We took the stakes out. It somehow sliced her perfectly-they kept saying it looked like she was "unzipped". It didn't damage the blood supply or anything. That's what was so weird-here she was-skin hanging off, but she wasn't bleeding-like at all. It didn't hit any arteries or blood vessels. Nothing. So she's been at the hospital since Saturday morning. She had surgery and got moved to ICU. We went to see her Saturday night. Poor baby was all out of it. They call us twice a day to update us and she's been getting better each day. We went to see her last night as well. The student who has been taking care of her had us try to feed her cuz she wasn't eating. She ate for us! I think she just felt more comfortable. We're really hoping that she will get to come home tomorrow. She'll have quite a bit of recovery ahead of her, but I just can't wait for her to come home. Now, of course, we would spend any amount of money to fix our dog. It's not even an issue. But I will say that we had $2000.00 in our savings account for baby, and we had to completely drain it and then some. So now, I have no job AND we have no savings. And we have a baby on the way.

Oh, and on Saturday  night, our microwave blew up. So we don't have a microwave. And we don't really have money to buy one at the moment. I'm supposed to be going home to Cleveland for a few days starting this weekend and now I don't even know if I have gas money to get there. And I haven't told my parents that I quit my job.

So in the blink of an eye, our whole world did a 180. So I feel pretty shitty right now. Ry JUST got paid last Wednesday and of course, this is the paycheck where we pay all of our big bills, so we are always a little stretched at the beginning of the month. But then all this happens. And we still have a week to go before he gets paid again. Right now I'm just concentrating all of my energy on my dog getting better and coming home and trying to find a new job. I know that everything will be fine. It always is. But when? This is the time when everything needs to be figured out and we need some stability til this baby comes. I'm just a little freaked out right now.

1 comment:

  1. Oh hun...I'm so sorry you had such a bad weekend! I'm so happy your dog is doing better. I cannot imagine how you felt when you saw her. I'm glad they were able to do so much for her at the animal hospital. Everything has to get better...it just has to. I hope you are able to find a great job soon! One that will make you feel stress free and happy. I always thought you had to be happy to stay at a job...they're like your second family you are there most of the week so you have to pick one that you will like. I hope that makes sense. Sending you lots of (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete